Thursday, August 7, 2008

23 Days: A New Countdown Begins!

We're starting another countdown here at The Rode Family Blog!
We're borrowing an idea from our good friend Mike McNeive and his recent year-long blog: 365 Shirts, only we're not taking it to that extent. Exactly 23 days from today (Saturday, August 30), Laura and I will be going to see Jimmy Buffett in concert for the second time this summer. I went to see him twice last summer, so this will be my fourth time seeing him. As a way of counting down to the big show, I'll be wearing a different Jimmy Buffett shirt everyday. Some of you might be saying: "what else is new? you wear a Buffett shirt everyday anyway!" To you I say, "so what!". Additionally, Laura and Mackinzie will be a part of this countdown because they too have a few Buffett shirts of their own to contribute. Along with the T-shirt aspect of the countdown, I'll be sharing a chronological summary of Jimmy's albums along the way.
So does everyone get the idea? Let's start the countdown!

I think this was the first or second Jimmy Buffett shirt I ever bought. Its from the Margaritaville restaurant in Las Vegas. I have been to that location once about 4 years ago, when I was in the beginning stages of becoming a full-fledged parrothead. I like the tone of this blue color and the design printed directly in the front of the shirt, rather than over the breast.

I'm displaying two albums today -

a) because there are 24 albums to cover and just 23 days to do it

and

b) these first two formative albums comprise Buffett's early attempts at a country music career and kind of go together naturally.

"Down To Earth" is technically his first album. It has a very country and folk-ish sound to it. It features the song "The Captain and The Kid" which he has re-recorded a few times since its initial release. Two of my favorites from this album are "There's Nothing Soft About Hard Times" and "Ellis Dee (He Ain't Free)" - a drug reference "Ellis Dee/LSD".


The next album shares a similar sound to "Down To Earth". "High Cumberland Jubilee" adds a little more rock edge to Buffett's sound, but it still remains very much in the folk genre. It features two tracks "In The Shelter" and "Livingston's Gone To Texas", which like "The Captain and The Kid" have been re-recorded by Jimmy Buffett to more modern sounds. I have a few favorites from this album including "England", "High Cumberland Jubilee/Comin' Down Slow", and "God Don't Own A Car" - which features great mandolin and trombone solos.

... back to the shirt...
The back of the shirt shows a sea plane at sunset over a tiki hut on the beach. Written on it are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs, "The Weather Is Here, I Wish You Were Beautiful"




This shirt is one of my favorites and the wear and tear is starting to show on it a bit, but that just gives it a little more character.
Check back tomorrow as the countdown moves on!
-Bert

.... along with the countdown, we'll still be updating everyone with our goings on with pictures and such!

2 comments:

Joanna B said...

Hey fellow parrotheads,

I saw Jimmy in Pittsburgh on July 22nd (my 36th show :>)) and the Pittsburgh paper does this really cool newspaper wrap the day of the show with a special section dedicated to the man himself. Very cool - I might add. Anyway - on the last page of this special section is a discography and it counts 35 CDs as Jimmy's. It includes a couple of compilations as well as the Christmas CD but it is definitely more than 24.

Cool idea with your shirt countdown. I am going to the show in Boston on September 6th - my next Jimmy adventure! Can't wait.

The Rode Family said...

Believe me, I know Jimmy has more than 24 albums... I have practically all of them! This countdown will just include the studio album releases; no greatest hits, or live albums, or compliations, etc.
Thanks for checking out the blog!