Friday, August 8, 2008

22 Days: I Want To Go Back...

The countdown continues today with 22 days remaining until the Jimmy Buffett Concert
Today's shirt comes from a visit to Margaritaville, Key West. Last summer, I visited Fort Lauderdale, Florida with several of my friends. We took a day trip down to Key West for a little sight-seeing and bar-hopping.


We did lunch at Margaritaville, and of course, I had to buy a shirt!

I chose to buy this one for two reasons:

a) I didn't already have a yellow Buffet shirt

and

b) It features the lyrics to one of my all-time favorite songs, "Tin Cup Chalice".

The small writing on the front repeats the opening line to the song, "I want to go back, to the island... where the shrimp boats tie up to the pilin'"
The back of the shirt includes a note that continues the lyrics... "Give me oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I feel fine." The picture on the back pretty much sums up the lyrics.

Today's album is Buffett's third studio record: "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean". It comes as a result of Jimmy's move from Nashville, after a failed country music career, to Key West, Florida, where he perfected his tropical rock sound, sometimes called "Gulf & Western". This album features several hits which are still popular today to many parrotheads, including "He Went To Paris" and "Grapefruit - Juicy Fruit". It also includes the hit "Why Don't We Get Drunk (and Screw)", which Jimmy wrote under the alias "Marvin Gardens" because of its taboo nature. He later talked about how it wasn't any different from most country music songs of its day... it just got to the point quicker! My favorite song on this album is probably "I Have Found Me A Home" which Jimmy wrote about his move to Key West.
Check back tomorrow for another shirt and another brief album review.

I'd also like to take a quick second and mention that one year ago today, we lost a very special friend....
Captain Jack, you are missed little buddy!
-Bert

No comments: