Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Daddy the Plumber

My very first job out of high school was working as a plumber's assistant for a large local contracting company. It was the summer of 1998 and I didn't really do that much hands on work. It was mostly a lot of "hand me this", "hand me that", "get out of the way and just let me do it." So here we are, 10 years later and the drain stopper... handle... switch.... thingie on our bathtub broke last night. It was ugly....
The metal piece had corroded away so much that it broke it two. I removed the metal plate and thought to myself, "I'm gonna have to hire a plumber for this job!"
... Like I said, it was ugly. I decided to call a plumber in the morning, but the answer came to me in a dream. I can fix this myself!
This morning, I took the broken pieces to Home Depot. I found the replacement parts without having to ask anybody for help. I came home and here is the end result...
The drain stopper-switch-thingie is good as new! I admit, I'm not the best with plumber's putty, so it might look a little amateur around there, but it works like a charm. I am far from the handyman around the house, so as you can tell, I'm quite proud of my little accomplishment. I probably saved $100 by not calling a plumber and spending $10 at Home Depot for the parts on my own.

In other big news, my Camo Pirates are continuing their winning streak. Four straight wins gives us a 5-1 record to start the season. We're still in first place in our division and 2 games ahead of the Estonian Rebels. Our win this week came against Zac Fisher's Zac's Fishers. The score was 100-92, a close one. Our only loss this season came against the Fishers back in week two, so it was great to get a little revenge.









Now we just need Tony Romo's broken pinky finger to heal quickly!
-Bert