Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top 10 of 2010

I went back through our 2010 calendar and selected my 10 favorite memories from 2010.

Number 10:
Wrapping up my accounting education at Towson University I took Tax II and Cost I this year. I loved Tax II and I especially loved Cost! My experience with Towson's accounting department (3 years ago) started off with disappointment with the qualtity of the instructors, but finished successfully. 2011 will bring the challenge of the CPA Exam.

Number 9:
Jimmy Buffett Concert #7 - Labor Day Weekend
This year I compiled the largest tailgate for a Buffett concert that we've ever had. I went to my first Buffett show in 2007 with just 3 other friends. In 2010, we took two van-loads - 16 people altogether! There was lots of food & drink, fins & fun!

Number 8:
Football success - the Ravens & Camo Pirates
Despite not making it to the SuperBowl in 2010, some of my fondest memories are a result of the Ravens success. The dominating playoff victory over the Patriots comes to mind - along with the large gathering we had at our house for the Divisional loss to the Colts, which included a "front-yard tailgate", bon fire and all! My fantasy football team, the Camo Pirates entered the year as 2009 Champions and have recently finished as repeat Champions in 2010.

Number 7:
Saturday with my brother
Back in October I spent a fun afternoon with my brother Will. We started the day by seeing Jackass 3D at the White Marsh Theaters. Later that afternoon we participated in the brewery tour at Heavy Seas (formerly Clipper City). We learned a lot about the beer-making process and enjoyed lots of free samples. What better way is there to spend the day with your brother?

Number 6:
Magic Kingdom 2010
We made our annual trip to Walt Disney World this summer. Our visit to the Magic Kingdom was especially fun this year because we were joined by Uncle Matt and cousin Artie. It was also Delaney's first visit - at least for half of the day. It was probably the hottest day of the summer, as you can tell from the sweat on my shirt, but also one of the most fun days!

Number 5:
Pirate Cruises
How many different pirate cruises can you go on in one year? Well, if you're me, then two! While in Florida we took an evening cruise, hosted by Captain Hook and Mister Smee, complete with food and drink, sea chanties, and fireworks. In September, Laura and I were invited aboard the Fearless - the Urban Pirates' ship for our friend Kara's birthday. It was a really fun evening of bar-hopping, topped by a BYOB cruise through the Inner Harbor at night. We might have had too much fun!

Number 4:
Cousin Weekend and Turning 30
For weeks leading up to my 30th birthday I tried to come up with the best way to celebrate. The result was perfect! Two of my cousins already lived in Florida, so it was just a matter of gathering up Will and Beth and heading south. In late January, Will, Casey, myself, Beth & Amber (along with our significant others) spent a long weekend at Casey's house playing games, grilling out, drinking beer and enjoying the transition from my 20's to my 30's.

Number 3:
Birthday Parties
We celebrated Delaney Mae's first birthday on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon in April at my parents house on the waterfront. Many of our closest family and friends participated in the celebration. Mackinzie Joy turned five in typical fashion - at "the bouncy-place"! Ultimate Play Zone featured so many moonbounces, slides and games. It was especially fun for Kinzie to invite her new friends from Kindergarten!

Number 2:
New York City!!
Number two on the countdown is the most recent, but also one of the best. Laura and I got out of town for the weekend to experience New York. We spent time with our friends Chris & Lauren, did lots of sight-seeing and also had a nice dinner with my old roommate Jeff. The highlight of the trip came on the last day when we caught a taping of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. If you haven't seen our short appearance on TV check this out. It was a weekend I won't soon forget!

Number 1:
Ocracoke Island, North Carolina
We spent a week in July in the Outer Banks with the Sroka family. At the end of the week, we piled into the Highlander and headed south on Route 12 until it came to an end in Hatteras. I drove onto a ferry and we cruised to Ocracoke Island. It was just one night, less than 24 hours, but this is by far my most favorite thing we did all year! There was lots of pirate history. There was a simplicity about the place. The isolation of being on a small island, along with the company of just my wife and daughters gave me a really good feeling. The Rode family will definitely be visiting Ocracoke again in the future - but probably when the girls are a little bit older.


We are just a little over 36 hours away from 2011. I hope the new year brings many more memories!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bert, great Top 10 - and they all had your wife and daughters or your brother (familia) in them. I love the way you think; you have a big heart!

Thanks for sharing!!

Forgotten Hotmail password said...

Please check if you need any help related to hotmail service Forgotten hotmail password